Velocity puts out some innovative B2B marketing content known for inspiring advanced thinking and innovative takes on the roles and responsibilities of marketers—and this manifesto is no exception. They call it a bit of a rant and a challenge intended to raise the ambitions of marketers to tackle this new world many of us find ourselves in deep water to address.
“B2B marketing is a profession of ideas.”
To capitalize on that definition, B2B marketers need to embrace and perfect the new (if a bit SCARY) roles to shift the entire dynamic of what we do. In essence, we need to take a stand about:
- Bringing back ideas from what we hear in the marketplace that will make money.
- Owning the revenue pipeline. (You fill it, sales works it.)
- Mastering the information that differentiates our offerings to raise us above the noise.
The ultimate goal we'll be able to achieve when we take charge of these roles is to win the battle for our prospects' attention. You see, you may think that you only need to worry about your direct competition—but they're only a tiny portion of what's competing for that attention.Yet, without your prospects' attention, it's game over. Yes, it's really just that simple.
Everyone and anyone who can publish content online can become a competitor for your prospects' attention—professionally or personally. It really doesn't matter because there are only so many hours in a day. Attention Deficit Disorder has become the norm. There's a "shiny new toy" in every Twitter stream, LinkedIn update, RSS feed and email dump. Instead of 5 - 7 seconds to capture attention, you've now got only micro-seconds.
In order to win the Battle for Attention, you need to honor the 5 B2B Imperatives; world view, beliefs, chops, ideas, and silo annihilation. The manifesto does a great job of setting these up so you'll just have to go download it to find out more.
But once you've used those imperatives to set your foundation, you're now ready to harness the tools that will make you the marketing rock star you've always pictured yourself becoming.
The tools include:
- Content Marketing – the fuel that powers the marketing engine.
- Analytics – measure everything that moves as well as stuff that doesn’t.
- A/B Testing – check your assumptions at the door.
- Lead Nurturing – the mystical golden link between marketing and sales.
- Search – the foundation for unfair advantage.
- Community – the new B2B staple for building relationships.
The upshot of this wonderfully engaging rant and challenge to push your marketing ambition to new levels of greatness is summed up nicely with this:
“[I]t’s time to drop the childish illusion that anyone cares about you and start telling people what’s in it for them.”
Nope. We're definitely not in Kansas anymore...