When's the last time you went out and looked for a new marketing idea? No, not a twist on something you've done, but something totally new and different - even if you didn't use it?
As we approach Independence Day I thought I'd challenge each of us to think about marketing in some new ways - come up with some fresh ideas. Sometimes we get so buried in deadlines and execution that we stop thinking new thoughts. Marketing becomes a job, instead of an exciting experience full of possibilities.
Have you noticed that it's doggone hard to find the time to look at things in new ways? Take some time over this long weekend to think new thoughts. No pressure, no deliverables, just think differently. See things a bit off kilter.
You'd be amazed what might occur to you.
To rev you up, here's a sampling of questions to ask yourself along the way:
- When's the last time you read a business book and actually tilted an idea to apply to your marketing projects?
- When's the last time you read a book? Not skimmed it, but read it, reflected about it, reveled in things it made you stop and think about.
- What's the last book you read unrelated to marketing that gave you a content presentation idea that you used?
- What can you do to better understand why people become your customers?
- Do you reach out to learn new business ideas or just try to adjust the jargon to sound like you're in touch?
- What's one way you can apply social networking to your next marketing program?
- Think of a way to inspire prospect dialog that isn't being used in your marketing programs today.
- What's the last thing you did to help sales connect with the prospects you're giving them for sales conversations?
- What can you do to get marketing's message embraced by someone in your company who isn't in the marketing department?
- What do you think will be the next big change in your industry? Have you thought about it? Once you recognize it, what will you do?
- Name one thing you would do to impact your marketing efforts if nothing stood in your way.
Okay, that should get you started. Go explore some new ideas and embrace independence over this long weekend. Have fun!
You're invited to share your brilliant ideas here.